Located in central California’s Sierra Nevada mountain range, Yosemite National Park encompasses more than 3,000 square kilometres of pristine wilderness. Established in 1890 as one of the USA’s first national parks, Yosemite located in Mariposa County offers a diverse array of landscapes and attractions; from groves of giant sequoia trees to incredible rock formations, alpine meadows, 21 waterfalls and plentiful wildlife.
Yosemite and Mariposa County is a natural adventure playground for every season and every type of traveler. Rock climb 900m sheer granite walls, river rafting the Merced river and zip lining above the historic Gold Rush town of Mariposa. Also enjoy horseback riding, hiking and bicycling through breathtaking valleys and miles of pristine wilderness and don’t miss snow skiing, ice skating and sleigh rides in winter.
Hiking & Walking
Yosemite offers a choice of themed hiking trails and walks, which you can explore on your own or as part of a guided group. There are even hiking trails specifically designed for families. Trails not to miss include:
- Sentinel Bridge to Yosemite Falls – the best way to take in the diverse landscapes of Yosemite
- Briceburg Canyon – once home to gold mines, trekkers can pan for gold for gold in the Merced River
- Chilnuala Falls and Swinging Bridge – not for the faint-hearted, this trail includes crossing a wobbly swinging bridge
- Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias – no trip to California would be complete without trekking through magnificent redwood forests
- Half Dome – experienced hikers only, this is one of the most challenging hikes in all of the USA
From the excitement of white-water rafting to the tranquility of a day’s fishing on Lake McClure, Yosemite National Park and surrounding areas offer a choice of water-based activities. Enjoy river rafting in spring and early summer on the mighty “Wild and Scenic” Merced River or rent a houseboat vacation on Lake McClure and Lake McSwain. There is something for everyone in Yosemite and Mariposa County.
Chill out time
Plan your Yosemite adventure at YosemiteExperience.com
Visit airnewzealand.com.au for the best available fares. From San Francisco the 4-hour drive will take you through the natural monuments, vineyards and historic Gold Rush landmarks of Maripose County. Extranomical Tours offer convenient transfers between San Francisco airport and Yosemite, as well as tours of the wider region (extranomical.com).
Getting around Yosemite and Maripose County is made easy with the YARTS (Yosemite Area Regional Transportation System) public bus network yarts.com.
Download your free travel planner at YosemiteExperience.com and start planning your trip today.
Back to Top